Tuesday, March 17, 2009

GOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!


Saturday morning Caedmon played his very first soccer game, and boy did he have fun! We woke up bright and early, fed Caeders a breakfast of champions (aka: pancakes found in the oven from the morning prior - it was really early and we were trying to get out the door in time), dressed him up in all of his gear which was a grueling feat in and of itself, loaded up and headed to the field.

As you can imagine with a field full of 3 and 4 year olds there was a lot of confusion, hand balls, countless stops and starts, running the wrong direction, nose picking and shin-guard integrity testing. All in all it was just really fun for the adults to watch, and the kids had a great time! His team didn't win the game, but they did end up with a couple of goals. Unfortunately, both of those goals were scored by a sometimes directionally challenged boy on the other team, who also incidentally scored most of his own team's goals! Thankfully, Caedmon couldn't care less what the score was or even what a goal was for that matter. He was just as happy as a clam to be chasing that ball around the field with 5 other kids his age.
Before the games they practice some skills - this is Caedmon "squishing bugs" on the ball and shooting at the goal
More drills
Nice shot buddy!!! (it's a lot easier during practice because there aren't 5 other kids in close proximity trying to take your ball, you know?)
Here's Caedmon's team getting a pep-talk from their coach before the big game (bless his heart, I think he deserves some kind of medal!)
Caedmon being distracted from kick-off by the girls on the other team

This clip will give you an idea what most of the game was like: three kids on each team, all clumped together and going for the same ball, sometimes remembering they have teammates to pass to or a goal to shoot at, but usually not. The little boy in the dark blue shirt is the one who did most of the scoring - he is pretty good!

This is a funny clip - Caedmon heard his dad yelling "other way Connor" and must have thought dad was yelling at him. He turns in his tracks and darts off in the other direction. So cute : )

I love this clip - a team of 3 girls scores on Caedmon's team of all boys. Oh yeah, girls rule!!!

As we headed home Caedmon sat in the back seat eating his snacks (I had forgot all about game day snacks - the best part of the game!!!). He had this look of complete satisfaction on his face, handed a couple treats to Addi, and said "Mom, I really like soccer".

4 comments:

  1. Randi,
    Those are great. Thank you so much. I wish we had a working camera. I need to just take the camera Josh gave us places and pray it works.

    Tell Caedmon, Aunt Jess, Uncle Jeremy, Bailee, Sam, and Makayla, say "Great Job! We wish we were there to watch in person."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Caedmon! Soccer is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. soooo cute!

    I wish they let the little guys play before 5yrs. old, here......

    until then....we wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randi, I just have to let you know that you and I read ALL the same blogs! I can't believe it...what a small world.

    ReplyDelete